It’s summer and you’ve made it through another intense semester. Congratulations! Although it would be nice to spend your entire summer tanning and sipping cocktails on the beach, there are many reasons why summer employment or internships can prove beneficial to life after college. One of the biggest challenges you will face upon graduating is lack of work history or experience. Quite simply put: “In a highly competitive graduate job market, new graduates who have not had any work experience at all during their time at university have little hope of landing a well-paid job with a leading employer, irrespective of the academic results they achieve or the university they’ve attended.” Click here to read more.
Scared? Don’t be. You can ensure you are not one of the countless students graduating without work experience by securing summer employment or internships this summer.
- Find what interests you. If your ultimate goal is to work in pediatric child care, seek opportunities in which you’ll be able to work with kids. Ideally you want your time to be spent doing something that will prove beneficial to your resume.
- Use your school. Most schools have career services department that assist students with internships and employment. You don’t have to do it alone. Career services is your new best friend.
- Contact potential employers. Chances are you are not the only person interested in the position. Follow up your interview with a phone call or a nice note. Set yourself apart from the competition.
- Don’t get discouraged. Your search may not be easy and you may encounter rejection along the way. That’s okay. Re-evaluate and regroup. The right opportunity is out there; You just have to be committed to finding it.
- Work hard. When you find it, do your best.It is important to give your all in everything that you do. Who knows? Your work ethic and relentless personality may secure a full time job with the organization after graduating.
What are you waiting for? Take one more step in the right direction by gaining the hands on experience you need to boost your resume! Good luck.